Monday, December 29, 2008

Forgiveness? Updated.

I just made the biggest mistake of my life. God protects us all, but I hope my daughter will be fine. Take it out on me, not on her.

The church handed out bags of candy. Predictably (why do I even talk to people???) the bags were full of peanut candy. I took out all the PB from all the bags. This morning I let them have a piece each after breakfast.

She said "Mom, that candy tastes like it had sunbutter in the middle, but it was gross!" Immediately, the icy vice on my heart. Scramble to get the boys and self dressed. Administer the benadryl. Call the appropriate people. Wait for the cue to shoot her full of epinephrine. Wait.

Chuckling girl. "I feel fine, really. It tasted nasty but I am fine."

Go down the list of symptoms. "No!"

Why did you go to the bathroom? "I just had to pee, Mawwwwm."

Waiting. Still waiting.


Update:

She is still fine.

It has been 5 hours now and she has not reacted. Nothing. None of the symptoms, not even the lower GI stuff has occurred yet. I am in touch with her father and with the very allergy-conscious and wonderful pediatric office (http://fircreekpediatrics.com/) and have maintained standard protocols.

I would love to be optimistic and think that this is an amazing, beautiful Christmas gift--that she may have finally outgrown this allergic disease. I cannot, however, jump straight to that. The next twenty hours will be telling, and then we will be making an appointment for blood tests with an allergist promptly in the New Year. If you're the praying kind, please thank God for this boon, and pray for grace for our family.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Sweetie!!! Crossing my fingers and praying, keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds scary! Please keep us posted on how she's doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed, candle lit, bowing to the east . . .
    May she show a complete recovery from the allergy!

    And may you have a complete recovery from that horrible, scary tightness in the pit of the stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!! I was praying that all was well with G. Here is hoping that she has outgrown this crazy allergy! ((HUGS)) and I will keep checking on ya.

    ReplyDelete