Saturday, February 02, 2008

Carseats Make my Head Spin


Washington has changed legislation again so the kids will be in seats way longer than I thought they would be when I bought them all. I had two Alpha Omegas (with which I remain happy, despite a lot of online carseat gourmands complaints) which would have been all I needed had we remained in SC. It kind of boggles my mind that in my home state , G would soon be out of her seat and in P-daddy's home state, only D-boy would be in a seat at this point. Yet here, I can expect them to be in seats for a very long time. Only Maine is stricter, according to this map I found. (click to see it)

Children under the age of 16 years must be restrained in a vehicle according to the following steps:

. 1 year of age AND under or weighing less than 20 pounds:
a rear facing infant seat

. Between 1 - 4 years old or 20 - 40 pounds:
a forward facing child safety seat

. Children under 8 years of age, unless 4 feet 9 inches tall:
a booster seat with a lap and shoulder belt

. Children over 8 years of age:
a properly-fitting seat belt or a booster seat with a lap and shoulder belt

NOTE: Doctors and safety experts recommend that children ride in booster seats until the lap and shoulder belt fit right, usually when they are at least 4'9" tall, or around 8 years old.


So this week, the ugly and ratty boosters I bought for the big guys were replaced with larger, highback convertible boosters. The ugly ratty ones will live in P-daddy's car now, because while ugly, ratty and now uncushy, they are still legally sound. They love the new seats, but because we grow tall children, both seats are extended pretty high, and I will be sewing in additional padding where there are gaps. D-boy still fits very well in his seat, even at5 point, but I am thinking about him too. This seat has never been in an accident, but it is 4 years olds already-- maybe 5. I don't want to replace it at all because aside from the cover needing a good laundering, it's in great shape. I really thought I was done with carseat considerations.

4 comments:

  1. What if you are over 8 years of age, and even a little over 4'9" and the seat belts still don't fit you?? Do they have a booster for us? I once drove a car cross-country with pillows under my bum and behind my back. Damn K car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even by the strictest laws....I would have 2 definitely out of seats and one out on weight. J-elf should definitely be in a booster...and she has one. But then, her poor legs hang off and it is very uncomfortable for her. I guess I need to get her a better high back booster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it is pretty abitrary, huh. I could swear Idaho was up to 7 or 8yo though, maybe it's just because our local news stations are over in Spokane. Eh. I'm still keeping 'em in 5-pts as long as I can, partly so I don't have to scrape off layers of my hand to buckle the kids in every time (3 carseats in a single backseat, yeah).

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY for your new carseats!
    love, sheila

    ReplyDelete