Thursday, March 23, 2006

I have a friend coming in from NY

We've never met but we've been friends for years and years. She has two boys the same ages as my big two, and she is due with baby three.

I've been trying to keep up with motivated moms, but we moved in to this house last fall and I am still not unpacked. Today was not a good day. I did laundry all afternoon and would so be done but I had extra to manage (see the poop story).

This evening though, my daughter reframed everything. EVERYTHING. I told her that it was past her bedtime and she needed to go to bed. She asked why I wouldn't go to bed with her, and I gestured at laundry piles and said "Honey I have got to get this done. I do not want to be embarassed tomorrow!"

She replied, very matter of factly, "Aw Mom, your friend knows how messy a house gets with with kids. She know it's embarassing to have kids."

First, I was awed by her trying to comfort me, and that for the first part she was right. My friend DOES know how it is. Then I felt pretty deep shame for her thinking for even a second that she embarasses me. I held her and let her know how grateful I was for her trying to help me out, but that I was in no way embarassed by my children.

Man. Talk about a REFRAME moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment